Fishing in Halifax County, NC
Fishing in Halifax County, NC is both a recreational activity and a serious sport. With Lake Gaston, Roanoke Rapids Lake, the Roanoke River and myriad creeks and ponds in our area, there are ample opportunities for the serious sportsman or the novice fisherman of any age to wet their hooks. The most popular sport fishing in Halifax County, NC is to be found in Weldon, “The Rockfish Capital of the World.”
Every spring Striped Bass, or Rockfish as they are known locally, travel up the river from the Albemarle Sound to spawn, providing anglers two months of keeper season and another two months of catch-and-release. However, rockfish aren’t the only fish to be found here. Fishermen also enjoy the lure of shad, largemouth bass, crappie, sunfish, catfish, as well as the occasional walleye, yellow perch and chain pickerel. If you prefer someone to lead you to the best fishing spots, there are plenty of guide services available. Whatever fish you are angling for, you are certain to have a “reel” good time here in Halifax County, NC!
Enjoy this link by fishing guide Captain Rod Thomas about NC Wildlife Resources electro-fishing and tagging in Weldon, Rockfish Capital of the World.
NOTE: The exit for Weldon is actually Exit 173, which is the third NC exit after crossing the Virginia border, not the first exit as stated in the video.
Area Fishing Guides
Click the links below to go straight to the websites of area fishing guides. (Other guide services without websites are listed in our fishing brochure.)
- Bucks Unlimited Outdoor Adventures, (252) 308-7523
- Captain Dean Lamont, (919) 414-2452
- Captain Ponytail Guide Service, (336) 240-5649, www.captainponytail.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charlie’s Striper Guide Service, (252) 532-7634
- Feathers & Fins Outfitters, (252) 676-6955
- Honey Hole Outfitters, David Whitfield, (252) 813-3185, www.honeyholeoutfitters.com, email@example.com
- Jim Troutman, (252) 536-1342
- Occoneechee Lodge, (252) 583-1799, www.deerhuntingnc.com
- Roanoke River Waterfowl, (252) 826-4288, www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com
- Roanoke Tar Guide Service, (252) 532-9885, www.roanoketarguide.com
- Tar-Pam Guide Service, (252) 945-9715
- Tim Biesecker, (252) 532-1846, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tri-Lakes Guide Service, (252) 451-0770